Before Intravenous Anesthesia/Sedation
How To Prepare For Your IV Sedation Appointment
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- VERY IMPORTANT!! You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment. If Dr. Eaton has given you a prescription for a relaxation pill or has instructed you to take your regular medications, you may do so with a sip of water.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia. We recommend that a responsible adult stay with the patient for 24 hours after anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a fever, cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Eaton prior to your surgical date for instructions.